1/28/2009

Billy Powell, 1952 - 2009

I just learned this evening that Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboard player William Norris “Billy” Powell died earlier today at his home in Orange Park, Fla., of an apparent heart attack. Powell, one of Skynyrd’s original members, as well as a survivor of the band’s tragic 1977 place crash, was 56.

For more information, Jacksonville’s newspaper, The Florida Times-Union, has a good obit, along with some other Skynyrd-related links.

In tribute to the passing of Billy Powell, I thought tonight would be an appropriate time to share this old Lynyrd Skynyrd show I’ve had on my hard drive forever. The recording comes – as I understand, anyway – from an unreleased King Biscuit Flower Hour show recorded Nov. 6, 1975, in Cardiff, Wales.

This would also be an appropriate time to raise a shot of whiskey.
So, Mr. Powell – salute.

Double Trouble.mp3
Ain’t the One.mp3
The Needle & the Spoon.mp3
Saturday Night Special.mp3
Gimme Three Steps.mp3
I Got the Same Old Blues.mp3
Simple Man.mp3
Whiskey Rock & Roller.mp3
Call Me the Breeze.mp3
T for Texas.mp3
Sweet Home Alabama.mp3
Freebird.mp3

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:13 AM , Blogger Casey said...

I hadn't heard about this.
You provided a very honorable post.
I'm toasting right along with ya.

 
At 3:40 PM , Blogger Dave C said...

Thanks for the post. Really good boot. I'm not the hugest southern rock fan in the world, but you've got to hand it to these guys. They could really bring it. But talk about being born under a bad sign...RIP

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home