1/10/2009

Obsessing about Garbage

I’ve been obsessed with Shirley Manson since she started appearing last season as Catherine Weaver in “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.” Something about that emotionless beauty appeals to me. Her and Summer Glau.

Anyway...
Yesterday I heard a Garbage song that I had not heard for some time: “#1 Crush.” I wasn’t sure what album it was on, and it took me some time to find it, but in keeping with my OCD, I wasn’t about to give up until I found it. It turns out the song has shown up as a couple of b-sides and on the soundtrack for the 1996 film Romeo & Juliet. I don't think it's actually on a Garbage album at this point.

I can tie this whole post together very neatly if I tell you what Shirley said about the song: “All real love is a form of obsession; if you love someone more than anything else, that degree of exclusivity requires an abnormal amount of passion and care.”

And while we’re tying things together, I also found “Samson and Delilah,” the Blind Willie Johnson song Shirley sings during the opening scene of last season’s first episode of “Terminator.”

#1 Crush.mp3
Samson and Delilah.mp3

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Garbage is a great band that always seems to fall into some sort of crack and then rears it's beautiful head. Years ago, I saw them open up for REM on their Monster tour and was blown away, not so by the headliners, sadly. Usually Butch Vig (drummer) is known as the guy who produced "Nevermind", Smashing Pumpkins and others, but he and the rest shine throughout their career.
Great blog, btw...

 
At 10:00 PM , Blogger aikin said...

thanks David - I'm sort of a casual fan of Garbage; they're one of those bands that I enjoy hearing, but I don't seem to own much of their music.

 
At 8:15 PM , Blogger a Tart said...

New album coming out in 2009 as well, I hear. Yes, I'm a huge fan, have all their work and I'm hoping it's not just a rumor! She's not only beautiful but gorgeous sounding too, nice post! xoxo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home