1/19/2009

U2 & MLK

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.’”
It’s fitting that Barack Obama will be sworn in as the United States’ first African American president at nearly the same time our nation honors the birth of Martin Luther King, Jr. It shows that, despite our other flaws, most Americans can look beyond race and see that all men are truly created equal.

On this day and on the eve of a historic presidential inauguration, I turn again to U2 for the appropriate soundtrack. Both of these songs reference Dr. King’s life and legacy and both appeared originally on the 1984 album The Unforgettable Fire.

This version of “Pride (In the Name of Love)” comes from a November 1984 show in Dortmund, Germany; “MLK” is from the 2002 Super Bowl halftime show at the New Orleans Superdome. This version of “MLK” was played as an intro to “Where the Streets Have No Name,” so it’s a little shorter than the original and seems to suddenly drop off, but that’s actually where U2 go into “Streets.”

Pride (In the Name of Love) (live).mp3
MLK (live).mp3

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:50 PM , Blogger a Tart said...

Ah thanks for these hun! The version we heard on HBO yesterday was rather less than stellar shall we say?

On another note... didn't you once post on Bleachbaby? I'm searching for her and. And when are ya gonna get a search bar? I'm off to Hype Machine now, lol!

hope you're not working today, xooxox!
Tart

 
At 5:50 PM , Blogger aikin said...

thanks, Tart!
what's Bleachbaby? I've only ever posted on my little blog here.

and of course I worked today...

 
At 10:29 PM , Blogger a Tart said...

Bleachbaby is a singer, I thought perhaps you had posted on her here. xoxo

word verification = crunc
LOL

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger aikin said...

after I answered your comment, I thought that might be the case. No, I haven't posted anything by anyone named Bleachbaby, but now you've got me curious....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home