10/11/2009

Rolling Stones - Memphis '78

I noticed it’s been a long time since I posted any live stuff. I imagine that sort of falls in line with my overall lackadaisical approach around here lately. But I thought it might not hurt to look through my things and see if I could find something interesting to share. What I came up with is this recording from the Rolling Stones’ 1978 tour.

For the U.S. leg of their ’78 tour, the Stones played 25 shows over the course of about two months: the first was June 10 in Lakeland, Fla.; the tour wrapped up on July 26 in Oakland. A lot of Stones “experts” consider this one of their best tours because of the back-to-basics approach the band took. They played a lot of older stuff, interspersing songs from the newly released Some Girls album, most of which fit nicely alongside the classics.

This recording comes from the June 28 show at the Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis, Tenn. I believe part of this show was broadcast for the old King Biscuit Flower Hour radio show. One notable thing about this recording is the debut of “Hound Dog,” which the Stones would only play at this show and the following night in Lexington, Ky.

When I first got this recording, the songs were in no type of order. I’ve arranged them in what I believe to be the proper set list, first by listening, to see what seems to logically follow, and by using a couple of sources, including RocksOff.org, a great Rolling Stones fan site.

Let It Rock.mp3
All Down the Line.mp3
Honky Tonk Women.mp3
Star Star.mp3
When the Whip Comes Down.mp3
Miss You.mp3
Lies.mp3
Beast of Burden.mp3
Shattered.mp3
Just My Imagination.mp3
Respectable.mp3
Far Away Eyes.mp3
Love In Vain.mp3
Tumbling Dice.mp3
Happy.mp3
Hound Dog.mp3
Sweet Little Sixteen.mp3
Brown Sugar.mp3
Jumpin’ Jack Flash.mp3

or, if you prefer, you can UnZip it.



** NOTE **
update - I believe all links are back in working order now
thanks!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:21 AM , Blogger Pete said...

Sweeeet.
Thanks Aikin! Don't think I've heard a show from this tour before...

 
At 11:10 PM , Blogger kayaker said...

GREAT QUALITY CONCERT! THANKS. TAKE IT EZ,PAT

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home