9/08/2009

So this is who Visqueen are

The new Visqueen album, Message to Garcia, is out today. I’ll tell you the truth – until a few days ago I had no idea who the hell Visqueen were. But they were nice enough to send me a copy of the first single from their new album, so I thought I’d check it out.

“Hand Me Down” is a pop rock song, but it’s the good kind of pop rock: more rock than pop and with a chorus that reminds me a lot of Cheap Trick. The song also has big rock ‘n’ roll drums, which I dig a lot. And I gotta also say I'm digging this song a lot.

Message to Garcia is Visqueen’s third album, and their first since 2004’s Sunset on Dateland. The band took a lengthy hiatus so front woman Rachel Flotard could care for her father, who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Rachel’s father, who passed away in April, would ultimately prove a major influence on her writing for this album.

“He was our unrelenting hero for 35 years and never let us drop,” Rachel says about her dad. “These songs are my friends. I wrote them through a long ride of self-conscious anguish and joy. They are braided with sunny, ubiquitous problems and snare drums. They reflect the part of me that wants to be happy and make out with Bad Company.”

So, now that we all know who the hell Visqueen are, I’ll suggest you check out the first single from Message to Garcia, then get to your favorite e-tailer and get the whole album.

Hand Me Down.mp3


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:30 AM , Blogger Alex said...

I've been a big fan since a friend played me "Vaxxine" and "Manhattan." Great, great stuff... and nice to hear they're back.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home