7/20/2008

Untitled Zeppelin post (take 1)

I’m going to introduce a new, recurring, yet limited run feature here at the Licorice Pizza: I just got my hands on a 12-disk set of Led Zeppelin session recordings/outtakes/alternate takes/etc., and I think the historical rock ‘n’ roll value demands I post the entire set.

What I plan to do is post a new disk at least once a week. That way I can fit in other stuff and I won’t get bored with just posting the Zeppelin recordings. Besides, I got them in a FLAC format, which means I have to go through the tedious process of converting them to MP3, otherwise they take up huge chunks of space.

Like most everything else I find that I think is new and cool, it’s only really new to me; I’m usually among the last to get to the party. According to the info that came with these files, this boot box set was released in May 2007. It combines some previous Japanese releases with Midas Touch's Brutal Artistry and Brutal Artistry II, and Empress Valley's The Lost Mixes EP Volume 1. There is some minor material making its debut. The end of track 13 from the first disc has an extra half-minute over prior releases. Disc 10’s tracks 7-14 provide an extra 17 minutes of studio room floor edit pieces for “Ten Years Gone” and “Boogie With Stu.”

The 12 disks cover most of Zeppelin’s studio history, beginning with sessions for Led Zeppelin and running through tracks recorded in 1980 at the New Victoria Theatre in London. Although I’m sure this collection is far from comprehensive, it is the first I’ve found that gathered all of this in one place. It is also excellent sound-wise. There is a little hiss, but not enough to be distracting, and of the tracks I’ve listened to so far, only one was of so-so quality. It was still very listenable.

I’m going to kick this off with Disk 1, appropriately enough. Two tracks here are stand outs: “You Shook Me,” which, at a little more than a minute longer than the final version, really showcases Robert Plant’s harp skills. It also reminded me that Zeppelin started as blues band – this song is a much rougher, bluesier take than what would ultimately end up on Zeppelin’s debut. The other stand out track is “Babe Come on Home (take 3).” After some research, I learned that a version of this song surfaced on the commercially released box set version of Coda. I didn’t buy that set and had never before heard this song. To me, it was like finding a long-lost Led Zeppelin treasure.

(Tracks 1-13: Olympic Sound Studios, Barnes, London, England Oct. 1968)
Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (take 8).mp3
Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (take 9).mp3
You Shook me (take 1).mp3
Babe Come On Home (aka Tribute to Bert Berns) (take 1).mp3
Babe Come On Home (aka Tribute to Bert Berns) (take 2).mp3
Babe Come On Home (aka Tribute to Bert Berns) (take 3).mp3
Untitled Instrumental (take 1).mp3
Untitled Instrumental (take 2).mp3
Untitled Instrumental (take 3).mp3
Untitled Instrumental.mp3
Untitled Instrumental (take 4).mp3
Untitled Instrumental.mp3
Untitled Instrumental (take 7).mp3

(Tracks 14-15: Mirror Sound Studios, Los Angeles, Calif. May 1969)
Moby Dick (intro and outro).mp3
Moby Dick (drum solo).mp3

(Track 16: Morgan Studios, Willesdon, London, England June 1969)
Sugar Mama.mp3

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:33 PM , Blogger AnotherByte said...

Holy Moly...

Thank you so much...

Please let me know when / where to get more of these amaazing Led Zep MP3's...

Ace.

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger aikin said...

Stay tuned - I'll be posting up more over the weeks to come.

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's been awhile since I stopped by these parts (reformatted computer, lost all bookmarks, bleh), and it looks like the internet wizards led me back here at the perfectly awsome perfect time.
Awesome!

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger SteveBM said...

Man, you rule. Id never heard of this album and Im a HUGE Zeppelin fan. Best band of all time. Question - are Brutal Artistry and The Lost Mixes EP also Zep?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home