7/15/2008

The Rock - this Thursday

I was looking through some of my messages earlier tonight and saw that some northern rock bands are going to invade Miami this week.

Say When, a quintet out of Boston, and Plastiq Passion, from the New York / New Jersey area, are both scheduled to play Tobacco Road this Thursday night. So as not to alienate the locals, Super Sam will be representing the 305.

I can’t say much about Super Sam; they don’t have any music up on their MySpace and I’ve never seen them play live. I can, however, vouch for Plastiq Passion. These five ladies refer to themselves as “new wave,” and cite influences such as The Cure and Joy Division. In some situations that could mean an automatic turn of the dial, but maybe I’m getting soft. I gave a listen to the music they have streaming on their MySpace and decided I liked it.

I’m old enough that when you say “new wave,” I think skinny ties and Flock of Seagulls. Plastiq Passion’s new wave seems a little newer, along the lines of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs or the Strokes (also influences). All things considered, and since no one’s paying me to do PR, I can say that of the bands appearing Thursday, Plastiq Passion appeals the most to me. If I’m able to make it out to Tobacco Road, they’ll be the band I’m looking to hear.

“Plastiq Passion is an all-girl, new wave/rock band made up of members from the NYC/NJ areas,” C.W. Ross wrote in the Indie Music Stop. “These girls aren't just ‘eye candy;’ they kick ass with their music. This is an up and coming band that you should keep your eyes on.”

Tonight’s music comes from Plastiq Passion’s EP I Can’t Wait.

Better Run.mp3

If you’re in the Miami area this Thursday be sure and check out the The Rock Thursday at Tobacco Road (626 S. Miami Ave / 305-374-1198).
The fun starts at 9 p.m. There’s a $5 cover and you gotta be 21 or older for entry.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

why hello there Aikin.

thank you so much for the kind words.
alittle late on commenting we know, but better late than never, right.

tobacco road was fun to play at. good people, cool venue. we plan on definitely heading back there.

:)

--plastiq passion

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home