7/12/2008

Shock of Pleasure

Got something a little different tonight. Dallas band Shock of Pleasure sent me an email the other day, telling me about their latest release, a cover of the 1971 Carpenters song “Superstar.”

Yeah, that’s sort of what I was thinking, too. But I open-mindedly gave it a listen and found I really liked it. Singer Kelley Christian has a sultry voice that adds a whole ‘nother level to the song. When she sings, “I love you... I really do,” it makes my knees weak.

Robert Romano of Dallas band Stranger than Fiction, drummer Brent Irish and bassist Shelley Gaither formed Shock of Pleasure in 2004. The following year, Christian, who is also a model and actress, joined the band as their singer. Josh Curry replaced Gaither earlier this year as SoP’s bass player.

SoP describe their music as “trip-hop and down-tempo grooves (that) create this eclectic mix of textures and sound. This is Electro-Lounge Music – a soundtrack to life in the city.” Their debut album, It's About Time, is set for a Sept. 16 release.

Superstar (Carpenters cover).mp3

Check out Shock of Pleasure’s MySpace for more info and music.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11:45 AM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

You need to hear Sonic Youth's version of Superstar. It's Creepy-Tastic!

 
At 7:03 PM , Blogger aikin said...

Nazz - I don't think I've ever heard that version. I'll have to check around and see if I can find it.

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

hey man, i uploaded it for ya:
http://www.box.net/shared/r6fxnxy8gw

 
At 5:54 PM , Blogger aikin said...

awesome - thanks!
Hope you don't mind me leaving the link up for anyone who happens to stumble across the comments.

Like anyone reads comments on other people's blogs anyway!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home