11/03/2007

A Redneck Weekend

It’s going to be a bit of a redneck weekend for me, as I go tonight to see Hank III, then tomorrow to a RibFest.

Hank Williams III is actually the middle act, between Nashville Pussy and headliners the Reverend Horton Heat. The Reverend I saw at a Warped Tour appearance about 10 years ago; Nashville Pussy I have never seen. I’ll admit also to not being real familiar with their music. So I tracked some down and I think I’m going to like them just fine.

I posted some Assjack a whiles back and made mention to a Hank III show that Chris at the Culture Bully attended. Not being the headliner, I’m not sure how many variations of his band III is bringing with him, but I’m looking forward to the uncertainty and potential for violence that always makes for a good rock show.

Now this RibFest thing. You may not be aware of this, but Miami, as far south as it is geographically, is not really the South. It’s more like North Cuba. As such, we don’t get much of the typical “Southern” stuff here: Country music, sweet tea, drawls, and good BBQ. It’s mainly the last part of that equation that leads me to RibFest. Sure, there’re corporate teams, like Tony Roma’s, but there’s also the down-home, sticky goodness of the independent BBQ artists. It’s the fun of gorging myself on ribs while searching for that perfect taste that makes all the cholesterol worthwhile. And country singer Phil Vassar will be there to serenade me and my Bud-swilling, BBQ sauce-smeared friends.

Nutbush City Limits (Bob Seger cover).mp3 Nashville Pussy
Hellbilly (live).mp3 Hank III
Honky Tonk Girl.mp3 Reverend Horton Heat

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:38 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

"Nutbush City Limits" was originally written and recorded by Tina Turner, not Bob Seger. It's about the town she grew up in.

 
At 1:00 PM , Blogger abramson said...

True, though I'm not quite sure why Seger gets a co-writers credit for the song on "live bullet".Ideas anyone?

 
At 5:16 PM , Blogger aikin said...

Sarah - my bad. You are absolutely correct. I must have been thinking about BBQ when I wrote that.

Abramson - Your guess is as good as mine. The Wiki page for the song doesn't say anything about any changes Seger would have made to get co-writing credit.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home