9/19/2006

UFO

UFO is one of the most underappreciated, underrated bands of what was the New Wave of British Metal. Their classic line-up (Phil Mogg, Micheal Schenker, Pete Way, Paul Raymond, and Andy Parker) released a half-dozen standard-setting albums through the late 1970s, including the phenomenal live album “Strangers In the Night.”

The band’s full history is available on Wiki, but I’ll try to summarize its beginnings for you. Mogg, Way, Parker, and guitarist Mick Bolton formed the band in 1969 as a blues-based rock quartet. Bolton left in 1972, and UFO went through a couple of guitarists looking for the right sound to take the band where they wanted it to go.
In 1973, former Scorpions guitarist Micheal Schenker joined UFO, bringing his distinctive guitar sound. In 1974, UFO released “Phenomenon,” which displayed a new, harder sound. As I mentioned, through the latter part of the 70s, UFO released a number of classic hard rock albums, including “Force It,” “No Heavy Petting,” and “Lights Out.”

I’ve got a couple of tunes from “Phenomenon,” which could really be considered UFO’s second debut album, the one that launched their more recognizable sound. I’ve also got a couple from 1978’s “Obsession” album. And, mainly for comparison purposes, I pulled one song from “Misdemeanor,” recorded in 1985, after a two-year hiatus. Raymond and Mogg are the only original UFO members appearing on this album.


Wreckless.mp3 from Misdemeanor
One More for the Rodeo.mp3 from Obsession
Only You Can Rock Me.mp3 from Obsession
Built for Comfort (Willie Dixon cover).mp3 from Phenomenon
Doctor Doctor.mp3 from Phenomenon

UFO still tours and records today. Their latest album, “The Monkey Puzzle,” should be released later this month. Check out their Web site here. And YouTube has an old video for "Shoot Shoot" as well as links to other UFO vids.

As a footnote, “Strangers In the Night” is absolutely one of my favorite live albums. Putting this post together made me realize it’s been too long since I’ve listened to it, so I had to dig it out and give it a spin. I think in a couple of weeks, I may post more UFO so I can share my love of this most underrated disk.

1 Comments:

At 1:15 AM , Blogger BJ said...

Hey - since you're into UFOs, have you seen this Roswell video?
www.flownetworkproductions.com/evidenceofaliens.htm
I thought it was fake until I watched Part 2. What do you think?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home