9/10/2006

Thelonious Monster

Well, I didn't make it back last night, but I did root through my record bins and find some interesting things.

Thelonious Monster came from Los Angeles, led by singer-songwriter Bob Forrest. They were popular in the Hollywood area, playing clubs there in the 80s, but never achieving much commercial success. Trouser Press derided their first album, "Baby, You're Bummin' My Life out in a Supreme Fashion," as a "half-assed grab-bag of styles, some of them effective and others just plain lazy, unified by self-indulgent down-in-the-gutter lyrics and frontman Bob Forrest's whiny personability."

Not exactly a 5-star review. But there are some interesting things on the album, which to me has sort of a Replacements feel.

Psychofuckindelic.mp3
Thelonious Monster.mp3
...and the Rest of the Band.mp3
Happy #12 & #35.mp3

As a footnote, Thelonious Monster reunited in 2004 at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, CA, and at the Sunset Junction Street Fair in Los Angeles. That same year they released "California Clam Chowder," their first new album in 12 years.

There really isn't anything at the Thelonious Monster Web site, but check out the Underneathica blog for some Monster info. You can also see the aforementioned Trouser Press page, which will link you to the right places to buy Thelonious Monster music.

4 Comments:

At 9:21 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Hey, thanks for the link to Underneathica! I just found your blog. I recently saw a children's book called "Thelonius (sic) Monster". Bob Forrest should totally sue.

 
At 11:53 AM , Blogger e-bone said...

aikin,

Another slab of vinyl I'd love to have back. Any chance of posting the blues cover "Let Me In the House"? Epitaph says they'll carry the CD soon.. but they have been saying that for a year now.

My first encounter with T. Monster was a set they did opening for Chili Peppers at the I-Beam in SF. Would have been 1984 or 5. I was like "who *are* these guys??" They were sloppy and hilarious. Bob and another guitar player (Bill Stobaugh) getting into a sibling-style fight about who got to use an effects pedal ("You used it last night!" "Did not!" "Did so you f***head!"). They reminded me of what early replacements shows must have been like. Bought this album the next day. BTW- there is a two cd compilation with their best work on it- Next Saturday Afternoon / Stormy Weather. A desert island disc for me. Let me know if you want a copy and I can dropload it.

 
At 1:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

i'd love to hear some of their music, can anyone send some songs to me? and especially Happy #12 and #35?
that would be awesome!
thanks

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger aikin said...

bert -
if you happen to see this response, I think these links still work. When I clicked them, they automatically downloaded and launched iTunes.

If not, my apologies - they're from vinyl and I do not currently have the equipment to rip from my old LPs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home