9/09/2006

Don't Let It Bring You Down

I don't usually mess around much in the arena of new music. There are plenty of other bloggers who do that well enough, so I like to stick to my own little forte here. But I heard something I thought was good enough I needed to share it.

Howard Stern, on his radio show yesterday, played a cover version of Neil Young's "Don't Let It Bring You Down" and challenged the others in the studio to guess who was performing it. The voice sounded vaguely familiar, but no one could figure out who was singing. This went on for a couple of minutes until I was screaming at the radio, "Tell me already!"

Finally - FINALLY - he told us the girl covering Neil Young was none other than Alexa Ray Joel, daughter of Billy Joel and Christie Brinkley. Everyone was awed. She really was good, not just another child of a celeb putting out a record. The song stuck in my head, so this morning, I bought it and listened a few more times to the song. I still like it, and her version of "Don't Let It Bring You Down" has stuck in my head. The music has kind of a Joss Stone-type feel; white-girl blues stuff. It's funny that I liked this song, as it's not my usual taste, but, take it for what you will, I like it.

From her debut EP, "Sketches," Don’t Let It Bring You Down.m4p

Visit Alexa's site here, for more information.
*********
And with that said, I'm lugging out my record collection and may be back tonight to post some vinyl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home