9/06/2006

Wednesday means Wendy O.

My introduction to the Plasmatics came via Saturday Night Live, sometime around 1979-1980. I was hungry for music that shocked and outraged the middle class in which I was so firmly entrenched. I already knew the Ramones and the Sex Pistols, then here comes this bleach-blond woman with electrical tape over her nipples and a guitar player wearing a tutu. Then they blew up a bunch of stuff. Holy shit!


I've got a lot of Plasmatics music, digital and vinyl, but for today I'm going to go just straight Wendy O. I want to touch briefly on her story, because she is another rock and roll tragedy. Wendy Orlean Williams was born in Rochester, NY, on May 28, 1949. She appeared on The Howdy Doody Show when she was seven years old. After dropping out of high school in the ninth grade, she traveled around the US for a few years, then made her way to Europe, where she began stripping. By the mid-1970s she had returned to New York. That's where she hooked up with Rod Swenson, a sex show promoter. After shooting music videos for other bands, Swenson and Williams decided to create their own punk rock band. The Plasmatics debuted their outrageous act at CBGB on July 26, 1978.

Wendy died at age 48 of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. This is what she wrote regarding her decision:
"I don't believe that people should take their own lives without deep and thoughtful reflection over a considerable period of time. I do believe strongly, however, that the right to do so is one of the most fundamental rights that anyone in a free society should have. For me much of the world makes no sense, but my feelings about what I am doing ring loud and clear to an inner ear and a place where there is no self, only calm."

You’re a Zombie.mp3
I Love Sex (And Rock And Roll).mp3
Bump and Grind.mp3
F**k That Booty.mp3
Jailbait (Motorhead cover).mp3


Some other stuff, just so ya know: "I Love Sex" and "Bump and Grind" both came from Wendy's self-titled solo album, which Gene Simmons produced. Ace Frehley plays lead guitar on "Bump and Grind." "You're A Zombie" comes from "Maggots: the Record," which was sort of a Plasmatics reunion album, but was billed as Wendy O. Williams and the Plasmatics. The other two songs are from "Kommander of Kaos," a Wendy O. solo album Rod Swenson produced, but also featured former Plasmatics.

Visit the official Plasmatics Web site for all your official Plasmatics merchandise and lots of other cool stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home