10/19/2009

Can You Go a Little Deeper: Blue Öyster Cult

...and we’re back.

I thought I’d jump right in with a “deep track” post, something I haven’t done in a long time. While driving out of town this past weekend, I listened to a lot of classic rock on SiriusXM and happened to hear a couple of tracks from Blue Öyster Cult, which put me in a mind for this post.

I only have one Blue Öyster Cult disk, but I figured I could go deep with that as well as anything else. Spectres was BOC’s 1977 follow up to their break through Agents of Fortune album. Although Spectres didn’t move platinum numbers like its predecessor, the album still did well, led by the success of “Godzilla.”

“Death Valley Nights” was the second single from Spectres, following “Godzilla.” The song never charted (ironically, neither did “Godzilla”), but I think it’s a great, forgotten BOC song and I’ve always gotten a kick out of the line, “What I need is a kiss from you, babe / Before it's hangover time.”

Death Valley Nights.mp3

~~~~~
(Can You Go a Little Deeper is an irregularly recurring feature here wherein I resurrect old favorites, lost songs, and other things you maybe haven’t heard in a while)


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:05 PM , Blogger william927 said...

Thanks for that great post on BOC! Hadn't listened to them for a long time. Oh South Florida, how you lack good music!

 
At 1:23 AM , Blogger Alex said...

More cowbell!

 
At 10:45 AM , Blogger Löst Jimmy said...

Coincidentally I was listening to Spectres earlier this week, it is indeed a great album. My favourite track on the record is 'I Love The Night'

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home