6/17/2009

'Drug-fueled Stupidity' FTW

I am full on aware that when I post stuff like tonight’s band I get probably half as many hits as I would if I were to post, say, a Led Zeppelin boot. But here’s my thinking: First, you’ve probably noticed Licorice Pizza is – and will remain – ad free. “F” the corporate man. I do this for fun, not profit, and while I like people to stop by, hits do not equal dollars on this page.

Next, to me blogging has always been about discovering new music. I love classic rock and I will still post it when the urge strikes, but if I can share some lesser-known music and even one person enjoys it, I feel like I’ve done my job as a blogger. I was ecstatic to get a couple of notes from people who dug Peter Pan Speedrock. I went to bed happy that night.

So, off my soapbox and on to the music....

The Bulemics are a four-piece punk rock band from Austin, Texas. I forget how I found these guys, but their music is exactly what I need from a punk band: Mindless fun. They’re not preaching anarchy or hate or anything other than “drug-fueled stupidity.”

They’re known in some circles as Austin’s most savage band, following in the footsteps of punk legends The Dead Boys, The Germs, and GG Allin. Austin’s alt-weekly paper, The Austin Chronicle went so far a few years ago as to refer to The Bulemics as “the heirs to the crown of ugly, irritable garage punk.”

The Bulemics have been together 13 years, which is forever in punk time. Remarkably (or not, considering the seemingly ever-rotating line-up), The Bulemics have only released six full-length albums during their time. And the last one, 2007’s Still Too Young to Care, doesn’t even really count because it’s a retrospective / greatest hits disk. They are, though, reportedly working on a new album.

Tonight’s music comes from that retrospective, which collects music spanning from the band’s formative years to more recent tracks. Still Too Young to Care also features some alternate versions and a few previously unreleased songs. And for extra fun, the physical version comes with a DVD (I got mine from eMusic, so, sadly I didn’t get that).

There’s a great review of Still Too Young to Care from a site called No Front Teeth (a site itself well worth checking out): “This is band that is resolute in wreaking havoc and keeping rock ‘n’ roll evil and who the fuck can blame them?” the review starts. “Someone has to do this before we lose rock ‘n’ roll altogether to the faggy mall chains.”

The review goes on to say, “There's no danger left in rock ‘n’ roll anymore...everyone's calmed down or dead or signed their soul away or whatever so it's all so fucking boring now and when you get a release like this it just ignites that rebellion and complete unpredictability.”

I mean, if that that paragraph alone doesn’t make you want to hear this music, well, I just don’t know what else to say.

Snuff Queen.mp3
Fat Bottom Girls (Queen cover).mp3


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 3:32 AM , Blogger a Tart said...

Don't take this the wrong way, but when you write posts like this, I love you babe... I feel like shit every time I make my way over here and realize it's been a week or two since my last visit. Since I basically copied the way you blog, I totally agree with your little rant :)And yeah, this band is so totally right up my alley, thanks! xoxoxo

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger aikin said...

thank YOU, Tart! And don't feel bad - it's often a week between visits to other blogs for me, too!

 
At 11:27 AM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

hey- the kids love it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home