3/14/2009

Lights Out

There were a couple things behind today’s decision to post some old UFO: First, I still occasionally see hits on a UFO post I did in September 2006 (the music is on my old host, but the links seem to still be good); next, Strangers in the Nights is right up there as one of my all time favorite albums.

Strangers is UFO’s 1979 live album. Recorded in late 1978 at shows in Chicago, Ill., and Louisville, Ky., this disk has the band’s classic line-up of Phil Mogg, Micheal Schenker, Pete Way, Paul Raymond, and Andy Parker. Schenker left the band right after this tour ended. It has been rumored that he refused to record any overdubs for the album, which would make this an accurate account of his live guitar work.

Despite often being cited by fans and critics as one of the best live rock albums of all time, Strangers in the Night never charted higher than number 42 in the U.S. and number 8 in the U.K.

For me, this is one of the albums I never get tired of hearing. I bought the double vinyl release back when it first came out, then replaced it years later with the CD. Like many of my favorites, it’s hard to put my finger on the exact reason for its lasting appeal. But maybe that’s the secret of something so classic.

Out in the Street.mp3
Lights Out.mp3
Shoot Shoot.mp3


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home