4/18/2008

Danny Federici: 1950 – 2008

I was heading out this afternoon to see Bruce Springsteen in Ft. Lauderdale, but the show has been postponed following the death yesterday of E Street keyboardist Danny Federici. I’m disappointed, but I certainly can understand, and I look forward to the rescheduled date. (Tomorrow’s show in Orlando has also been postponed.)

Federici, the E Street Band's organist and keyboard player for 40 years, died at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City after a three-year battle with melanoma.

“Danny and I worked together for 40 years,” Bruce said in a post on the band’s Web site. “He was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much...we grew up together.”

It was Federici, along with original E Street Band drummer Vini Lopez, who first invited Springsteen to join their band.

Federici announced last November that he was taking a leave of absence from the band to pursue treatment for melanoma and was temporarily replaced by Charles Giordano. He made his only return to the stage on Mar. 20 when he appeared for portions of an E Street Band performance at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

The Federici family and the E Street band request that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund. The link will be posted soon on the band Web site linked above.

I was going to post a variety of live Springsteen songs today as a prelude to tonight’s show, and I think I still will. I’m also including the studio version of “Hungry Heart,” one of several songs where Federici’s organ playing takes center stage.

Traveling Band (CCR cover).mp3 Live at the Stone Pony – Aug. 22, 1984
I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide (ZZ Top cover).mp3 Live at the Stone Pony – Aug. 22, 1984
Drift Away (Dobie Gray cover).mp3 Live in Memphis – Dec. 14, 1984
Adam Raised a Cain.mp3 Asbury Rehearsals – Apr. 24/26, 2006
Cadillac Ranch.mp3 Asbury Rehearsals – Apr. 24/26, 2006
I Want You (Bob Dylan cover).mp3 Live at The Main Point (Bryn Mawr, PA) – Feb. 5, 1975
Hungry Heart.mp3 from The River

Note: I gathered these songs from a number of sources, so thanks to the original posters.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:24 PM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

The last appearance he made (on March 20) is available as video online at springsteen.net

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home