1/24/2008

Kiss - '79 Tour rehearsal

I found this Kiss rehearsal recording a couple of weeks ago and thought it would be cool to share. I know there’s some closet Kiss fans still out there!

This rehearsal doesn’t come from when the band was at its peak – the Alive era – but from what I consider as the beginning of the end: The Dynasty era. The fondness I have for this era, though, is that when I saw Kiss on this tour, it was my very first concert. That said, I’m willing to overlook “I Was Made for Lovin’ You” and remember the good songs.

This tour rehearsal recording was made in Lakeland, Fla., sometime between June 11-14, 1979. The tour started there on June 15, at the Lakeland Civic Center. Five long months later, Nov. 7, my cousin and I got my parents to drive us to the Forum in Los Angeles to see our very first concert. I wish I could remember back 30 years and tell you every sight and every sound. I know we had close to the worst seats in the arena – somewhere near the back and the top. It’s odd (well, considering it’s Kiss, maybe not), but the little I remember is more of the spectacle than the music. I sort of remember the fire breathing and Ace’s guitar shooting out sparks. I was too far away to see the blood spitting. There were, of course, tons of pyrotechnics. You could see that even from the cheap seats.

One of the Kiss bootleg sites I checked wrote that you could hear Peter Criss fussing about a lot of things in this recording. I didn’t notice a lot of that, but maybe I wasn’t listening close enough. It was about a month later that Peter would leave the band, after years of growing tension.

Part I
King Of The Nighttime World
Radioactive
Move On
Christine Sixteen
Firehouse
New York Groove
Calling Dr. Love
Tossin' & Turnin'
Love Gun
2000 Man
Ace Frehley guitar solo
I Was Made For Lovin' You
Gene Simmons bass solo
God Of Thunder pt. 1
Peter Criss drum solo
God Of Thunder pt. 2

Unzip Part I

Part II
Shout It Out Loud.mp3
Rock and Roll All Nite.mp3
Beth.mp3
Detroit Rock City.mp3
Black Diamond.mp3

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home