1/10/2008

Sink, Florida, Sink

If you’ve been paying attention, you’ve probably heard me bitch once or twice about the lack of rock music coming from South Florida. Well, it ain’t gonna end here. But rock gets a little bit closer with Against Me!, who come from Gainesville. In case you don’t know, Gainesville is way up the road from Miami, which is probably why there’s rock music there.

I first heard of Against Me! probably a year ago, but they’ve actually been around in different variations for about 10 years. From the Against Me! Web site: “A decade ago, Tom Gabel began his music career as a 17-year-old solo acoustic act known as Against Me!, belting out songs of rebellion in Laundromats and any other venue that would have him.”

By the early 2000’s, Kevin Mahon had joined Gabel as Against Me!’s drummer and the duo released the Crime as Forgiven By EP. Later that same year, Gabel and Dustin Fridkin (on bass guitar) recorded and released The Acoustic EP.

The following year, 2002, Against Me! released Reinventing Axl Rose, their first full-length album as a four-piece band. The band has remained a four-piece since, releasing Thrash Unreal, their Sire Records debut, last year. They also scored a slot at the Coachella Festival last year, as well as appearances on Letterman and Conan.

For tonight’s post, I’m pulling a couple of songs from the earlier EPs. “Impact” comes from Crime as Forgiven By; “Pints of Guinness Make You Strong” from The Acoustic EP (as a side note, The Acoustic EP doesn’t really have a name; it’s just commonly known as The Acoustic EP); and “Sink, Florida, Sink” from the As the Eternal Cowboy album. An electric version was also later released as a single.

Impact.mp3
Pints of Guinness Make You Strong.mp3
Sink, Florida, Sink.mp3

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:22 PM , Blogger Ann said...

It's true, you don't hear about much coming from South Fla. And, most of the good stuff does come from Gainesville. We have some talent in Orlando {at least I think we do and I'm not talking boy bands. :)}

Check out this link. They're from Jacksonville, been around for years.

http://www.myspace.com/beggarweeds

{Click on "L and M".}

:)

 
At 1:06 AM , Blogger Allen Lulu said...

New Wave was the biggest surprise of the year. My favorite album of 07

 
At 12:40 PM , Blogger jonder said...

So I guess you don't like Torche?

 
At 7:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance you've come across any live recordings of Against Me! shows? I'd like to hear what they sound like before I see them open for Foo Fighters next month. I've been checking most of the major torrent sites, but no luck yet. Many thanks.

 
At 9:29 PM , Blogger aikin said...

Ann - I'm digging Beggarweeds. Do they have any music out?

Allen - I hate to admit this, but I don't think I've heard it.

Jon - I emailed you back, but I don't know about Torche.

(two "I know nothing about it" responses in a row. Wow)

Eli - I haven't seen any Against Me! live recordings anywhere - sorry!

(make it three....)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home