3/23/2007

Taurus to Heaven

I’m back at Apt. 104 finally; back in Mee-yami, so I’m going to break away from the Texas music for a bit. Maybe some of you are thinking, “Whew,” but don’t worry, I’ve got some more to come.

I was listening the other day to Howard Stern and they were talking about a book titled “Sounds Like Teen Spirit” by Timothy English (iUniverse, Inc., $16.95). Some of the arguments are nothing new, i.e. Led Zeppelin ripped off the bluesmen, etc. Some of the other cases presented were new (to me, at least), and pretty interesting. Stern played a bit of a song named “Taurus” by Spirit, which has a guitar riff nearly identical to “Stairway to Heaven.” Coincidence? Who knows.

English argued that Zeppelin should be completely disqualified from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for what he called their blatant ripping off of other musicians. The Stern staff, meanwhile, seemed to feel that Zeppelin heard the riffs and saw something in them, and were able to use them as a foundation for their own music. In other words, just drawing on the past for inspiration, as has been done down through the ages.



~~~~


~~~~


~~~~


Randy California (from Spirit) & Jimmy Page

~~~~

I’m posting a couple of the pairs mentioned on the Stern show so you can hear for yourself. Then, I’ll go get the book and see what else is in it.

Taurus.mp3 Spirit. Released in 1968
Stairway to Heaven.mp3 Led Zeppelin. Released in 1971

All Day and All of the Night (Kinks cover).mp3 The Knickerbockers. Released by the Kinks in 1964. Sorry, I don’t have and couldn’t find the original Kinks version
Hello, I Love You.mp3 The Doors. Released in 1968

More Than a Feeling.mp3 Boston. Released in 1976
Smells Like Teen Spirit.mp3 Nirvana. Released in 1991

~~~~

If you don't feel like leaving the confines of your house, I'm sure Amazon has "Sounds Like Teen Spirit."

9 Comments:

At 11:59 AM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

if that's the case, then The Rolling Stones should be tossed as well. Everything they did was based on Chuck Berry and the blues. In fact, the story goes, that Chuck Berry once kicked Keith Richard's ass for stealing his songs!

Most rock n roll is based on the blues.

 
At 2:22 PM , Blogger Leah [Not Basic] said...

Awesome. This is the stuff my dad raised me on.

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger a.lu said...

HI. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE SONG IS THAT YOU HAVE FOR "BOSTON'S- MORE THAN A FEELING?"

i think it's great, but it's NOT boston.

thanks!

 
At 3:42 PM , Blogger aikin said...

Nazz: I hear ya! I absolutely disagree that Zep should be put out of the RRHoF. Probably the only person who does think so is Tim English.
I'm inclined to think they were influenced by the blues (more in some cases than others!) and developed the songs and riffs into their own.

Luciana: I double-checked and it's definitely "More than a Feeling."

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger a.lu said...

Nazz: no! wait. go here
http://hypem.com/search/boston%20more%20than%20a%20feeling/1/
then, click "listen" for the pizza blog.

NOT boston, although it IS boston on ur page.

help?

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger aikin said...

Yeah, I don't know what that is! I don't know how the Hype Machine does their links, but I guess someone mis-linked that.

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger a.lu said...

yeah. i don't know what it is...but i like it :(

i already emailed hype, and they can't help me :((((

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger a.lu said...

yeah. i don't know what it is...but i like it :(

i already emailed hype, and they can't help me :((((

 
At 4:08 PM , Blogger Silent 3 said...

Thanks for the Knickerbocker's track. The only thing I've ever heard from them was that Beatles sound-alike "Lies".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home