5/05/2010

‘This Song Makes The Car Look That Much More Badass’

I may have mentioned once or twice my distaste for bands who sell their music for television commercials and/or theme songs. I’ve long held the belief that those songs are sacred and should be treated as such. But in a perverse twist of logic, I like when I hear something new and appealing, no matter the source.

Such is the case with the song “Light of the Morning,” which is currently in play on advertisements for the 2011 Ford Mustang. The first time I heard “I wanna see you in the morning...” and the power chord-filled, start-stop, classic rock crunch, I no longer cared about the Mustang (which I’ve always found uncomfortable to drive anyway) but I had to know where the music was coming from.

With some crafty googling, I soon found out the band is Band of Skulls, a fairly new quartet from London. “Light of the Morning” comes from their debut Baby Darling Doll Face Honey, which they released in March last year. Although it got generally positive reviews, the album didn’t exactly fly off the shelves, not even making the British charts until this past February.

“Light of the Morning” hasn’t been officially released as a single, but in an era where government radio doesn’t play unproven artists, this commercial may be the break Band of Skulls needs.

In light of my past comments, “Light of the Morning” has also caused me to rethink my whole hatin’-on-songs-in-commercials thing. There’s always the possibility that a 13-year-old somewhere is turning on an episode of CSI, hearing the theme music and thinking, This band is fucking amazing; who is it?

Light of the Morning.mp3

~~~~~
(note: the title quote is from a comment on the Mustang commerical’s YouTube page.)


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:27 PM , Blogger Natsthename said...

Kind of reminds me of The White Stripes, which isn't a bad thing at all.

 
At 3:36 AM , Blogger WineGuyLA said...

WS may be once/twice/three times removed from...Zeppelin, no?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home