4/04/2010

Fighting Piranhas on Easter

Easter sort of snuck up on me this year, although I suppose it came the first Sunday in April just like every other year. Not that there are many traditions in Apt. 104, but at least I could have bought groceries last week in case my local market is closed today.

As far as today’s post, I went back and forth on what I could do. A couple of years ago I found some old, old blues songs that were somewhat religious in nature and thought those might make good Easter fare. I also thought about going tongue-in-cheek with the Cramps’ Songs the Lord Taught Us.

In the end, I went with this White Stripes song because of two lines: “It’s Easter morning, and there’s no one around / So I unroll the cement and walk into the town.” Like a lot of Jack White’s lyrics, it’s ambiguous, possibly meaning everything or nothing or a little of both. Either way, it’s an apt description of Easter morning around these parts.

This particular recording comes from the White Stripes’ July 14, 2007, show at the Savoy Theater in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia.

I Fought Piranhas (live).mp3


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home