4/26/2010

Bad Housewife

A little less than a couple of months ago – if you’ll recall – I posted about a blues guitarist named Popa Chubby. As almost an afterthought, I also mentioned Galea, who sings on one of the tracks I posted.

After I had heard about and posted about Popa Chubby, I continued investigating and tracked down some music by the lovely Miss Galea. I can’t tell you much about her, other than I learned that – in addition to handling occasional bass and vocal duties for Popa – she is also his wife. And, a few years ago – 2005, to be exact – Galea gathered ‘round the boys, including her husband, and recorded Diary of a Bad Housewife.

Diary is chock-full of country / rockabilly / blues tastiness, much like you’d expect from the bride of Chubby. Galea’s voice reminds me of the old time country singers: Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, that sort of style. There is no Carrie Underwood here.

Alongside her original material, Galea picked a range of covers, which show off her range of influences: Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson, and Willy DeVille are just a couple of the artists to whom tribute gets paid. One interesting cover is “Brand New Key,” the early 70s hit by pop singer Melanie. Galea countries it up and the song is titled “Combine Harvester (Brand New Key)” after a parody by British country act The Wurzels (“I’ve got a brand new combine harvester...”), but she sticks with Melanie’s original lyrics. Anyway, it’s an interesting take on a song I haven’t heard in a long time. “Truck Drivin’ Man” is one of Galea’s original songs that I think will show you what she’s all about.

Brand New Key (Combine Harvester).mp3
Truck Drivin’ Man.mp3


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home