5/18/2010

‘I’m Crazy ‘bout You Baby, But Baby You’re Crazy’

Holy shit.

If you guys aren’t yet aware of Nick Curran, I need you to sit up and listen to what I’m about to lay on ya.

Like so much of the newest / oldest / coolest stuff I hear these days, Nick Curran came to my attention via Little Steven’s Underground Garage. As soon as “Baby You Crazy” blasted through my speakers, I was hooked by the guitars, the horns, and the boogie-woogie piano, all of it distorted and all of it sounding like it was 100-percent lifted from 1950’s jump blues via the Cramps via the Ramones with T-Bone Walker sitting in for Johnny. If I didn’t know better, I’d have sworn the song was coming from some crusty half-century-old vinyl.

“Baby You Crazy” – and for that matter, the entirety of Curran’s latest album, Reform School Girls – is just so ridiculously good I don’t even know where to start. It transcends boogie-woogie or rock-a-billy and becomes Little Richard reborn in the body of a 32-year-old white guitar player from Maine (I know Little Richard is still alive, but just stay with me on this). I downloaded Reform School Girls from eMusic and – seriously – this is the first time in I don’t know how long that I listened to a CD, played it again, then played it again. And it’s still in my CD player waiting for another spin.

Just listen to this.

Baby You Crazy.mp3


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:46 AM , Blogger Charlie Ricci said...

OH, YEAH! This was great!!!! I'm playing it again!

 
At 11:35 AM , Blogger Tom G. said...

Fu-huck yeah! Grabbed me by the you-know-whats when I first heard it too. You are not alone. This is the shit.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home