8/16/2009

Stuck on 17B - Day Two

I left home with friends; told my mother “I was going to a concert.” By Sunday, she had me reported as a missing person. I was one of the “mud sliders.” Oh what a feelin’. I just wanted to see Janis J. She was sooo great. We survived on the “grub” we took with us. We found people who didn't mind sharing food for some tent space to sleep and get out of the rain for a little while. I love seeing the look on peoples faces when I say, “I was at Woodstock.” Good people, good music, good memories. ~ Joni, Philadelphia, Penn.

I got pneumonia, and I got knocked up at 15. But it was the best high of my life!
~ Karen, Memphis, Tenn.

Born in New York, my sister got her license and off we went. Got stuck in the mud in some field. She kept covering my eyes with her hands because of the naked people. Boy, were our parents mad because they had to come pull us out of the mud. ~ Judy, Little Chute, Wis.

One of the most terrifying things was the predominant sound of helicopters. When you’re on acid, right in the middle of Vietnam, it was really bone chilling. We thought they were going to start dropping napalm – and of course, we believed the Government was quite capable of that shit as well. ~ David Dalton, former Rolling Stone writer.

Saturday on Yasgur’s farm started just after noon with Quill and ended sometime early Sunday morning following The Who’s set. In between were several of the greatest bands of not only that era, but of decades to come: CCR, Janis Joplin, Santana, and the Grateful Dead.

The Dead’s appearance has become notable as one of their worst performances ever, due to technical and substance problems. They turned in a five-song set, hour-and-a-half set, including a 50-minute version of “Turn On Your Lovelight”.

What’s referred to as “The Abbie Hoffman incident” is maybe the most memorable from a performance that Roger Daltrey has called “The worst gig we ever played.”

Hoffman attempted to go on stage just after the band played “Pinball Wizard.” He grabbed the mic and began to yell, “I think this is a pile of shit! While John Sinclair rots in prison....”

Already annoyed with the presence of the camera crews on stage, Pete Townshend cut Hoffman off: “Fuck off ... fuck off my stage!”

Accounts vary as to whether Townshend hit Hoffman with his guitar or merely bumped into him; regardless, he quickly ended Hoffman’s attempt at a revolutionary statement to the Woodstock Nation. Townshend said, “I can dig it,” but moments later added, “The next fucking person that walks across this stage is gonna get fucking killed!”

Day Two performances
Quill
Keef Hartley Band
Country Joe McDonald
Fish Cheer / Feel-Like-I’m-Fixin’-to-Die Rag.mp3
John Sebastian
I Had a Dream.mp3
Santana
Jingo.mp3
Canned Heat
Going Up the Country.mp3
Mountain
Theme for an Imaginary Western.mp3
Grateful Dead
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Born on the Bayou.mp3
Bad Moon Rising.mp3
Janis Joplin with The Kozmic Blues Band
Work Me, Lord.mp3
Piece of My Heart.mp3
Sly & the Family Stone
I Want to Take You Higher.mp3
The Who
We’re Not Gonna Take It.mp3
Abbie Hoffman Incident.mp3
Underture.mp3

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home