8/07/2009

Can You Go a Little Deeper: Mott the Hoople

I spent a lot of time today listening to SiriusXM’s Deep Tracks channel. It’s the first time in a long time I dedicated all day to that channel and, dammit, there’s some good stuff there. Things I haven’t heard in ages and even a couple of things I don’t remember ever hearing.

With the Deep Tracks channel in mind and admitting blatant influence from the Aquarium Drunkard “Sevens” series, I’d like to introduce a new and randomly recurring feature here at the Licorice Pizza: Deep tracks from my CD collection.

My plan is to spring this on you every week or week-and-a-half, however it works out. What I aim to do is randomly select a CD, then pull a song from somewhere deep on side two. My secret selection process will ensure a random disk, but it’ll be my judgment picking the song. It may be something that never got any recognition or airplay, or it may be something I used to love but haven’t heard in forever. The only stipulation I’m putting on myself is that I won’t pick / post anything from this decade.

In honor of one of the main reasons behind this post, I thought I’d get things started by sharing the Mott the Hoople song I heard this morning (well, OK, not exactly a random selection, but I’m still working out the wrinkles in the process). Originally released on the 1972 album All the Young Dudes, I had long since forgotten Mott had recorded “Ready for Love” two years before Mick Ralphs would take the song with him to Bad Company.

Ready for Love / After Lights.mp3


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:50 PM , Blogger Denier said...

You really can't go wrong with any track from All the Young Dudes. I always liked One of the Boys, the way it fades out before coming back through what sounds like a telephone.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home