8/20/2008

STP for my birthday

I’m going out this evening to see the newly – and somewhat surprisingly, still - reunited Stone Temple Pilots. And on top of that today is my birthday (yes, I am officially a crusty old dude now) so the night holds some promise.

This will be my first time seeing STP. A friend saw them open for someone a long time ago and said they were great. Weiland was great as Velvet Revolver’s front man, so I expect STP to put on a good show as well. I’ve looked at the set lists for previous shows on this tour and they seem pretty consistent as far as what the band is playing: The expected mix of hits from their five studio albums. It looks like the band is allowing fans to pick the set list by registering on their Web site. I didn’t want to register, so if they play stuff I don’t want to hear, I have no one but myself to blame.

To get in the right frame of mind, I decided I should post some STP today. I hit up my collection and pulled one song from each CD. It was hard not to pick familiar songs, especially from the first three albums; it seems like they all got a lot of airplay. I also dug around a little and came up with a couple of things maybe you haven’t heard before including a demo from Mighty Joe Young (the band’s pre-Stone Temple Pilots name) and a so-so quality live recording from earlier this year.

Dead and Bloated.mp3 Core
Big Empty.mp3 Purple
Art School Girl.mp3 Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop
No Way Out.mp3 No. 4
Bi-Polar Bear.mp3 Shangri-La Dee Da
Dancing Days (Led Zeppelin cover).mp3 Encomium: A Tribute To Led Zeppelin
Naked Sunday (demo).mp3 Mighty Joe Young (pre-STP, c. 1990)
Plush (acoustic version).mp3 Thank You (The Greatest Hits)
All in the Suit That You Wear (live).mp3 Rock on the Range; Columbus, Ohio, May 17, 2008

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 12:31 PM , Blogger a Tart said...

aww Happy Birthday Aikin!! What are ya now? 25?

Thanks for the STP, another of my faves. What is it about strung out, middle-aged men, with great voices? Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell, Robert Plant (in his heyday), they're irresistable!

Enjoy the show hun, you deserve it xoxoxo

 
At 1:38 PM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

Well now...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

 
At 2:07 PM , Blogger aikin said...

thanks guys!
I feel 25 now. We'll see how things go later.

 
At 2:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday!
I thought you were going to say: "To get in the right frame of mind I shot up tonnes of smack!"
Hey, it is STP!
Hee! Have fun at the show.

 
At 8:20 PM , Blogger Rick said...

Happy Birthday, Aikin. Great choice for your birthday music.

.

 
At 11:44 AM , Blogger aikin said...

thanks again, everyone. Great show last night, followed by some other miscellaneous insanity!

 
At 4:21 AM , Blogger a Tart said...

oooh tantalizing teaser! do tell us more :)

 
At 10:39 AM , Blogger SteveBM said...

That show KICKED ASS! I thought Black Rebel Motorcycle Gang was a great opener as well. Weiland sounded better than ever and the whole band played great. Dead & Bloated was a killer encore, especially after I had already put on a beer drinking clinic, enough to yell the words with zero inhibitions. The rest of the night was a total blur for me. Memorable bits and pieces of making out with some random chick and then eating at some diner in I-dont-know-where at 3am w/ her and her friend. Im gonna detail the experience on my blog at some point but lets just say that there was an angel on my shoulder that night because I was a fucking dumbass for driving home.

 
At 10:46 AM , Blogger Chantelle said...

happy BDay. Art School Girl is the BEST!

 
At 4:24 PM , Blogger aikin said...

tart - see the comment posted by Blind Mind. It appears we had pretty similar evenings. Although I ended my night at a bar in North Miami instead of a diner.

blind mind - Sounds like we had somewhat similar nights, except no random chicks for me - just more beer. I'll check back on your blog to see more!

chantelle - Thanks!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home