11/26/2007

Kevin Dubrow 1955-2007

I was stunned to hear this afternoon that Quiet Riot singer Kevin Dubrow had died at age 52.

I guess what disturbs me about Dubrow’s death – or that of anyone in their 40s or 50s – is the way it reminds me of my own mortality. Dubrow wasn’t even 10 years older than I am. Of course, he probably lived his life a lot harder than I’ve lived mine and he may have had health issues I’m not aware of. The cause of death is still pending an autopsy and toxicology results. Either way, he was relatively young and it’s always somewhat of a shock when you hear about the death of someone close to your own age.

Here’s the news report, from the Associated Press:
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Kevin Dubrow, lead singer for the 1980s heavy metal band Quiet Riot that scored a hit with “Cum on Feel the Noize,” was found dead in a Las Vegas home. He was 52. The cause was not immediately known.

A neighbor summoned police and paramedics Sunday to the house where he was pronounced dead, police and coroner’s officials said.

There was no forced entry, and no suspicious circumstances were reported, police Officer Jose Montoya said Monday.

Quiet Riot was perhaps best known for its 1983 cover of “Cum on Feel the Noize.” The song, featuring Dubrow's powerful, gravelly voice, appeared on the band's album
Metal Health – which was the first by a metal band to reach No. 1 on the Billboard chart.

Dubrow recorded his first solo album in 2004,
In for the Kill, and the band's last studio CD, Rehab, came out in October 2006.

“I can't even find words to say,” Quiet Riot drummer Frank Banali wrote on his Web site. “Please respect my privacy as I mourn the passing and honor the memory of my dearest friend Kevin Dubrow.”

Determination of the cause of death was pending an autopsy and toxicology results, Clark County coroner's spokeswoman Samantha Charles said.
Here are a couple of tracks from Quiet Riot’s 1996 Greatest Hits disk.

Cum On Feel the Noize .mp3
Bang Your Head (Metal Health) [live].mp3
Let’s Go Crazy [live].mp3

5 Comments:

At 9:27 PM , Blogger chriscmanson said...

Yeah, I was in high school when QR first exploded on the scene. Bunch of assholes walking down the hall between classes singing "Cum on feel the noize/Girls fuck your boys/We'll get wild as hell" (actually brings a smile to my withered face)... I remember reading an interview with Kevin Dubrow in some long-defunct music rag and he talked about how he'd gulp down a bottle of Jack during concerts and it was actually cold tea.
We'll miss you, Kev. Hope you and Randy are jammin in rock and roll heaven.

 
At 9:43 AM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

Drugs and middle age are a toxic combination.

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger cleaner said...

I met Kevin over 15 years ago and we talked about Randy Rhoads. He was a genuine guy and very down to earth which was quite different from his stage presence. He will be missed and he has left his mark on rock and roll history.

 
At 6:44 PM , Blogger aikin said...

chrismcmanson - I may have been a little older when "Cum On Feel the Noize" hit, but no less of an ass!! I've read in recent days that Kevin Dubrow took pretty good care of himself - I'll be interested in seeing what the cause of death is.

Nazz - That's why I stay clear of drugs!

Christopher - I met him once in the early 80s at a frenzied scene outside a club in Memphis after a show there. Honestly, I remember very little about the encounter, other than I think I may have an autograph stored away somewhere.

 
At 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

QR, Ratt, Crue, Leppard - brought metal to the masses. I was there. Dubrow, R.I.P.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home