7/17/2007

Foo Fighters at Live Earth

Splashing around the Internet the other night, I happened across this recording of the Foo Fighters from Live Earth. I have to say I was pretty pleased, as the Foos were probably one of the high points of what I got to see. I didn’t see any of the shows live, but instead got a condensed version on VH1 or something.

I’ve got opinions on what I think sucked, but we’ll save that for a day when I’m in a worse mood. I liked Alicia Keys and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I thought Kanye West did a decent job, considering too many rap artists have a tendency to rely on call-and-response-type stuff live, losing a lot of what interests me about their music. I also liked the Smashing Pumpkins, or what’s left of them. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see Metallica, Wolfmother, Spinal Tap, or those guys from Rothera Research Station in Antarctica.

I doubt I would buy any sort of an official release from these concerts, as there was a lot of music I don’t care for. That being the case, I was glad to find this Foo Fighters recording. If there’s any other similar, rock-oriented stuff out there, I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

There was/is some controversy about the whole Live Earth thing; I don’t want to get into debating that in this space. If these shows did anything at all to raise awareness, they weren’t a total failure. Maybe I can summarize my general thinking by quoting something John Mayer told reporters: “We're just getting together saying ‘We want to be healthier’.” That’s not such a bad thought.

In case there’s anyone out there who’s been under a rock the last few weeks, Live Earth was a “24-hour, 7-continent concert series taking place on 7/7/07 that (brought) together more than 100 music artists and 2 billion people to trigger a global movement to solve the climate crisis.” (From Live Earth.org.)

This Foo Fighters recording came to me in the form I’m giving it to you: one file, five songs, and a little less than 27 minutes. I don’t really have the software to break it up neatly, so, well, enjoy the continuity, I guess.

All My Life/My Hero/Times Like These/Best of You/Everlong.mp3
File has been re-upped as a RapidShare link

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

I thought the Foo Fighters were the best thing all day (well, maybe the 15 bass guitar army on Spinal Tap's Big Bottom was better!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home