2/04/2007

Merry Super Bowl with Brian and Bon

Today is the day Americans all over the world gather together in front of their televisions and worship at the feet of the industry that is Super Bowl Sunday. An article in The Calgary Sun said the game has “long ago ceased being about just a football game. It has become the gold standard in corporate excess.” Last year’s Pittsburgh/Seattle match-up was the highest rated televised event of 2006. This year’s Chicago/Indianapolis game is predicted to be even bigger. “The event has turned into an American holiday in many ways,” sportscaster Jim Nantz told the Sun. “It's part of American culture.”

Don’t get me wrong. I’ll be in front of my TV, too. I’m pulling for Da Bears, I’m cooking Bronco Bob’s Super Bowl Chili, and I’m drinking beer imported from a little brewery in Texas just for the occasion.

While we wait for kickoff and for the chili to finish cooking, I thought I’d post a little bit of music.

If you remember, a couple of weeks ago, I posted some old AC/DC. In that post, I sort of derided the Brian Johnson-led AC/DC as getting away from the dirtier blues version Bon Scott had led.

In the meantime, I’ve dug around a little bit and found the roots of these two men. And after listening to their respective pre-AC/DC bands, I can see that Bon Scott came from a little bluesier roots than did Brian Johnson, hence the direction the band had in those days. At least in my opinion.

I want to backtrack a little with some history to show how the singers crossed paths before each led AC/DC.

After stints in jail and as a drummer for a couple of other bands, Bon Scott joined Fraternity in 1971. The band released two albums before changing their name to Fang and traveling to England. While there, Fang toured with Status Quo, and with a band called Geordie, led by Brian Johnson. "I remember Bon ... telling me the story of when he saw Brian singing," Angus Young told the BBC in 2003. "He says about that night, 'There's this guy up there screaming at the top of his lungs and then the next thing you know he hits the deck. He's on the floor, rolling around and screaming. I thought it was great, and then to top it off —you couldn't get a better encore— they came in and wheeled the guy off!’”

Brian Johnson joined Geordie in 1972, staying with the band until they split in 1978. In that time, they released five albums. After Bon Scott’s death in 1980, he was asked to audition for, and eventually given, the place as AC/DC’s vocalist.

While Fraternity and Geordie are similar in some respects (some glitter influence, some roots rock), Fraternity seems a little bluesier, as I mentioned. I’m putting up a couple of songs from each band, along with an AC/DC track from each singer’s era. Check ‘em out, compare 'em, contrast ‘em, but mostly - enjoy ‘em.



***

The Race (Part 1).mp3 Fraternity Livestock 1971
Seasons of Change.mp3 Fraternity Livestock 1971
Old Time Rocker.mp3 Geordie Hope You Like It 1973
Don’t Do That.mp3 Geordie Hope You Like It 1973
Rocker.mp3 AC/DC Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap 1976
Have A Drink On Me.mp3 AC/DC Back In Black 1980

3 Comments:

At 1:52 AM , Blogger Jon Talisman said...

Great post. Every year at this time I ask myself why AC/DC has never performed at the Super Bowl, especially considering that their music is heard at practically every NFL game.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure that they were still calling themselves Fraternity when Bon and Brian crossed paths. I may be wrong but I think the name "Fang" came about as a last ditch effort to try to get more attention from the UK music press when Fraternity failed to capture their imagination.

http://bon-scott.org"

 
At 1:27 PM , Blogger M said...

Would that little brewery be the Shiner Brewery?

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger aikin said...

Phiff - you could be right. I got my info from Wikipedia, so no guarantees.

Marcus - Oh yeah - Shiner! I actually was able to find a couple stores in Miami that sell it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home