1/27/2007

Dirty South

Contrary to what you might be thinking, this post has nothing to do with Outkast or Lil Jon. Instead, it’s about South Filthy, a band I just discovered the other day.

I was caught up in the undertow of the Interwebs when I hit upon the BKLN Song of the Day blog. There, BKLN has posted a song called “Surfin’ in Death Valley” by South Filthy. He described the band as a "foot-stomping bar-crawling bunch out of Austin and Memphis.”

Their MySpace calls them “an Austin/Memphis Roots Rock Soul Explosion!” South Filthy is a garage supergroup of sorts featuring Walter Daniels (Jack O'Fire, Big Foot Chester), Jeffrey Evans (Gibson Bros., '68 Comeback), Jack Yarber (Oblivians, Compulsive Gamblers), Rice Moorehead (Big Foot Chester) and Mike Buck (Fabulous Thunderbirds, Doug Sahm).

Whatever you wanna call them, I am really digging this band. I went to emusic and picked up their debut album, You Can Name it Yo Mammy if You Wanna (South Filthy’s second album, Crackin’ Up, is also available). It’s a mix of ragged blues, country, and garage rock. I put this disk on and I find myself in a bar on 6th Street, half drunk on Shiner and trying to figure out what the hell happened.

Check out these songs, check out the song BKLN posted, check out South Filthy’s MySpace, whatever, but check out this band and share them with your friends, families, and loved ones.

Grounded.mp3
LA County Jail.mp3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home