7/22/2006

URGH! A Music War

All right - let's see if we can't get things back to normal around here.

Today I've got a few things from the soundtrack to "Urgh! A Music War." I'm not sure of the background or what prompted this series of shows in August and September 1980. I Googled it and found, though, there is a huge cult-type following for the film. A little background, just from what I know: There were a total of about 30 "new wave" bands, including Oingo Boingo, Wall of Voodoo, X, Gang of Four, and a bunch of others, that did shows in California, London, Paris, and New York. The shows were at such classic venues as the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in California, The Whisky in Hollywood, CBGB and the Ritz in New York, and London's Lyceum Ballroom, just to name a few.

Apparently the film is not available on DVD, although it is occasionally shown on various cable channels. I remember seeing it on HBO or Cinemax a long, long time ago. That was what put me onto the soundtrack and introduced me to a bunch of music I hadn't known before. I also found that, for some reason, I clipped from the LA Times an ad for one of the original shows that constituted the Urgh series. I don't remember going to this show (which doesn't necessarily mean I didn't go), and the show was, naturally, well before the movie or album, so I really don't know why I would have this.

There's not much info on the 'net; just a bunch of forums talking about how classic this video was. It looks like there's a lot of contact issues surrounding the material now, so it'll probably never again see the light of day.

Over at Mookie’s blog, he's posted links to some of the surviving video. Particularly, check out the Cramps' performance.

The Cramps Tear It Up.mp3 Santa Monica Civic, Santa Monica, CA, 08/15/1980

The Police Driven To Tears.mp3 Frejus Ampitheater, Paris, France, 08/28/1980

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts Bad Reputation.mp3 The Ritz, New York, NY, 08/22/1980

John Otway Cheryl’s Going Home.mp3 Guild Hall, Portsmouth, England, 09/19/1980

Klaus Nomi Total Eclipse.mp3 The Ritz, New York, NY, 08/22/1980

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home