6/25/2006

Sunday's Hair Metal Hangover

LA effin' rocks, man! That's all you need to know. The 80s - between punk rock and Nirvana - were boom years for anyone with a BC Rich guitar and a can of hairspray. I dug up four metal bands from Los Angeles: Leather Angel, Savage Grace, Omen, and Rough Cutt. There's no surprises here; just shredding guitars, shredded vocal chords, and metal cliches that were cliche even back then.

You can learn more about Leather Angel here. The song I picked is from their one and only disk, "We Came to Kill," issued in 1983 on Miami Records.

To learn more about Savage Grace, again I'll point you to a post on sleazegrinder.com. I pulled the title track from their debut EP, "The Dominatress," issued in 1983 by Metal Blade Records.

Omen, not to be confused with the movie(s) of the same name, was a frighteningly horrible band who also recorded on the Metal Blade label. Like I said, anyone with a guitar and hairspray....
They are apparently still active and touring Europe. If you care, you can visit their website here. I don't know why I bought this album - I hate everything on it except a cover of AC/DC's "Whole Lot of Rosie." This comes from the 1987 EP "Nightmares."

Lastly, but certainly not leastly, is Rough Cutt. The have a website too and are apparently still active. You may or may not be interested to know that Jimmy Crespo is a member of Rough Cutt now. Crespo, as you may recall, did a short stint in Aerosmith during the band's worst years. Again, I'm not really diggin' Rough Cutt, so I went with a cover version of Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart." Warner Brothers Records actually put this out in 1985, apparently trying to ride the Motley Crue wave.

Leather Angel Askin’ for It
Savage Grace The Dominatress
Omen Whole Lotta Rosie
Rough Cutt Piece of My Heart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home