6/29/2008

Bad Emma

Today’s music comes from a Miami band, via Italy. A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for some information on something going on here locally, and came across the Bad Emma MySpace. Noting they were a local rock band, I checked out their music and liked what I heard: Something on the scale between punk and ska, with some very subtle Latin influence.

I sent them a note, letting the band know that I was digging their music and asked if there was anyplace I could buy it or download or steal it, whichever. I got a note back from &rew (Andrew, who I think is the singer – band info is kind of vague) saying he is in Italy, but would send me a disk with some Bad Emma demos.

The disk arrived this weekend, I gave it a few spins, and I liked it enough that I thought you good people needed also to know about Bad Emma. The two songs I’m posting are a pretty good example of the band’s sound. “Fuck the Public” is not about misanthropy, but an indictment of the government’s seeming apathy about the public. It’s a pretty straightforward ska-punk song. “Sex Pilgrim” is a little different; it’s an acoustic, Latin-flavored song with some Italian lyrics, which I think is about a missionary who travels town-to-town trading salvation for handjobs. Although I could be wrong about that!

As a point of interest, Bad Emma took their name from anarchist Emma Goldman, adopting as their motto one of Goldman’s most famous quotations (which she may or may not have actually said): “If I can't dance, I don't want to be in your revolution.”

Fuck the Public.mp3
Sex Pilgrim.mp3

Check out the Bad Emma MySpace for more information and más música.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:20 PM , Blogger Greg said...

I hope these guys put out a full length soon, great shit!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home