9/01/2008

“If we can’t afford to buy antiques, we’ll just copulate”

This is one of those beautiful posts that’s guaranteed to offend someone. I hope.

I got an email the other day telling me about the new album from a band called Jesus H. Christ and the Four Hornsmen of the Apocalypse. I’ve mentioned before that I am a sucker for an interesting band name so I knew right away I had to see what these New Yorkers are about. Here’s what I learned (bio mostly swiped from the JHC&TFHotA Web site):

“Jesus H. Christ and the Four Hornsmen of the Apocalypse are an eight-piece rock/pop/metal/psychedelic/cabaret band – sometimes all in the same song. Likened to B-52s meets X-Ray Spex meets Weezer meets Blood Sweat and Tears, the JHC ‘difference’ is horny, thinking-person's, emotionally-bare lyrics protectively cloaked in hard candy pop.

Poignant, laughable, awash in sound and fury, signifying almost nothing, but saying everything that no one usually dares to say, JHC&TFHotA are really just eager to be held and loved. At which point they'll become distant and forget to buy toilet paper.”

JHC&TFHotA’s new album, Happier Than You, will be out October 28. You can preview tracks and buy the album at CD Baby. To sort of whet your appetite, I have a couple of songs from their 2006 self-titled debut album, which The New Yorker called, “One of 10 CDs of 2006 worth a second listen.”

Connecticut’s for F*cking.mp3
Nipples.mp3

~~~~~

(NOTE: I found that if I use the Ethernet cable at this hotel, I can get around a little faster than with the wireless connection. So, I’m going to hold strong to my promise of trying to post this week. And I also promise to resume the Zeppelin series once I get back home.)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:27 AM , Blogger a Tart said...

Ok, i'll pretend to be offended for ya, babe! On behalf of X-Ray Spex, "Nipples" is musically horrid; a bland mix of The Partridge Family meets the cast of Will and Grace in a cabaret dream sequence! The lyrics aren't that bad though ;)

xoxoox

 
At 7:17 AM , Blogger aikin said...

well, sure, but it made me laugh and it's horribly catchy: "It's summer... and you can see my nipples!"

 
At 8:12 AM , Blogger Puppet Show said...

Tart, I will seek revenge on you for even pointing me to this song... It's a female version of Richard Cheese. Must find something to scrub my soul as not to know this song EVER again...

 
At 4:20 PM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

They're a bit too precious for my taste... lyrics are funny, but the music is too cheezy.

I still might see em next month in NYC.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home