2/05/2008

U23D

I took the advice offered the other day by Heather at the I Am Fuel, You Are Friends blog, and went this past weekend to see “U23D” at my local IMAX theater. Absolutely amazing.

I can whole-heartedly recommend this movie to any fan of U2, and not even hesitantly to any fan of live rock music. First, the sound quality is amazing. I got a seat far enough back so as not to have to strain my neck. To my left was a guy about my age and his youngish son. At one point there is, in the movie, a yell from someone in the audience. This guy and I both looked over at his son, who we thought had yelled. That’s how crisp and clear the sound is. Three-dimensional sound, if there is such a thing.

As far as the 3D aspect of the picture, it’s somewhat needless, but still notable. I mean, it’s not like you’re going to see things swinging out across the crowd or look down a 100-foot crevice. A couple of times Bono reaches toward the camera, but not enough to cause you to duck or want to push his hand away. What is incredible, though, is the IMAX clarity of the picture. It’s as crisp and as large as the sound and puts you on the stage.

I’ve had bad experiences the two times I’ve been to see U2 play live, but this IMAX experience was altogether awesome. The sound, the picture, the music. Even the crowd was almost as into it as a real concert, wearing U2 T-shirts and cheering both when the band came on stage and after the final song.

If you’ve got an IMAX near you, go see this. Do not even wait to see this one on DVD, no matter how HD your TV is.

Today’s music is from U2’s 1992 “One” single, which came from the Achtung Baby album. Supposedly this version is the UK release, so I’m not sure what I’m doing with it, but I’m glad I got it. U2’s version of “Satellite of Love” didn’t see release anywhere else that I am aware of. There’s also a remix of “Night and Day,” a Cole Porter standard U2 recorded for the Red, Hot, + Blue album.

Satellite of Love (Lou Reed cover).mp3
Night and Day (Steel String Remix).mp3

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home