9/03/2007

It's a summer romance and it's through

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do as a follow-up here. Making such a “popular” post sort of puts the pressure on me to not make any more shitty posts. I’m glad I posted that a month ago and there’s plenty between then and now.

That being the case, I’ll proceed as planned.

Today is Labor Day. Most of the rest of the world celebrates Labour Day in May and calls it May Day, but like our refusal to use the metric system, we need to be different here in the U.S. According to Wiki, Labor Day is a federal holiday that takes place on the first Monday in September. The holiday began in 1882, originating from a desire by the Central Labor Union to create a day off for the “working man.” It is still celebrated mainly as a day of rest and marks the symbolic end of summer for many. Labor Day became a federal holiday by Act of Congress in 1894.

My point being that, traditionally, Labor Day marks the end of summer. By now, kids are back in school and summer vacations are winding down. And that age-old tradition, the summer romance, comes to an end.

It’s been years (probably 20 or so) since I’ve had a summer romance. Once you’re out of school and on with life, things don’t revolve around summer as they once did. Romances come and go at random times of the year. But like your first girlfriend (first boyfriend for my female readers), or your first kiss, the summer romance is something you’ll always remember fondly.

Summer Romance.mp3 Rolling Stones, from Emotional Rescue

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home