6/23/2007

"Drink Drink Drink Drink! Die Die Die Die!"

While we’re on the subject of psychobilly, I was looking around the Internet for something a day or two ago and, as sometimes happens, I got sidetracked and never found what I was looking for. I did, however, find something I didn’t know about.

The Dead Hookers’ Bridge Club is a rock band. Not a big deal, you say? Well, they’re a rock band from South Florida. Miami, to be exact. And not a turntable in sight. To me, that’s a big deal. I’ve been unblissfully (is that a word?) ignorant for two years about any sort of South Florida rock music.

I vaguely recall reading DHBC’s name in Rolling Stone's “Smoking Section” column earlier this year, but I don’t remember what it was about. Anyway, looking around their Web site, I found some music to sample. And you know I’m all about the free samples, whether on the Internet or in the grocery store aisles. I gave the music a listen and really liked what I heard. Especially coming off that Cramps post where I was spinning that type of music anyway. In that spirit, I thought I’d gather the songs and share them, hopefully promoting the South Florida rock scene – such as it is.

From the Atomisk Records press page, here’s the DHBC bio:
The Dead Hookers’ Bridge Club is a three-piece rock and roll band based out of Miami, Fla. Its members, Ace Roller, Jack Switchblade and Dr. Johnny Thunder, met in a bar in the high desert outside of Flagstaff, Ariz., and set out to make the loudest, gnarliest music ever to fall on human ears.
Since the Bridge Club’s inception in winter ’04, the band has won many fans of their high-energy, liquored-up live shows. Their debut EP, Fast Cars, Stiff Drinks, Loose Women, released on Atomisk Records in May 2005, was hailed as a “refreshing, heartfelt homage to the days of pomade and muscle cars” and helped the band to develop a significant cult following in South Florida.
So there you go. Be sure to check out the DHBC Web site and their MySpace space for additional information. They have a show next Saturday, the 30th, at PS-14 (28 NE 14th St.) here in Miami. If you’re in or near this area, I hope to see you there. I also urge you to support local rock and roll, here particularly, but no matter where you live. There are enough turntable-spinning goofballs cluttering the music clubs. You can hardly throw a beer bottle into a crowd without hitting one.

The Ballad of Mary-Sue.mp3
Hung Like Whales.mp3

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home