4/29/2007

Caught in a Blog

I wasn’t sure what I ought to post today. Last weekend, I ripped some new stuff from vinyl and I wanted to get to that. On the other hand, I’ve had a bad weekend and wanted to put some music to it. What I decided finally was to keep my personal demons personal since that’s really beyond the scope of what I’m doing here.

With that in mind, I’m reaching back about 20 years for Anthrax’s I’m the Man EP. This was the band’s second EP, released in 1987 on Megaforce Worldwide/Island Records. The main guitar riff in "I'm the Man" is based on the melody of the Jewish folk song “Hava Nagila.” The song draws heavy influence -- such as its title -- from the Rodney Dangerfield movie "Easy Money”:
(Hector: Tell her to come down. Prove to her you're the man.
Julio: Come down! I'm the man!
as well as the line “I’m so bad I should be in detention”).

Briefly, Anthrax formed in 1981, coming up out of NYC. The band was, almost from the start, noticeable among their peers for their willingness to experiment with genre and image. During the late 1980s, the band radically departed from the "traditional" heavy metal look in favor of a brightly colored "surfer" style of appearance. They were known for introducing a humorous side to their music, in contrast to the seriousness of fellow metal bands such as Slayer and Metallica.

In addition to the “I’m the Man” single, Anthrax would again enter the rap/rock field in a 1991 collaboration with Public Enemy for a joint version of “Bring the Noise.”

Over the past two decades, there have been roughly 20 members of Anthrax. The current lineup includes founding members Scott Ian and Charlie Benante, and Frank Bello, who joined in 1985.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath cover).mp3
I’m the Man (Extremely DEF Ill Uncensored Version).mp3
Caught in a Mosh (live).mp3

Anthrax.com
Anthrax’s MySpace space

~~~~~

NOTE: Within the next day or two I’ll be unlinking the February links.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home