11/22/2006

Night of the Living Dead Boys

Just when I thought things were cool with my new host. I tried three times last night to upload these songs and kept getting error messages. Finally I gave up and went to bed. So tonight, I log in, ready to try again, and what to my wondering eyes does appear? All six songs, uploaded three times each. Great. I’m sure glad I purchased that extra storage space....

Anyway -

I promised I’d lay off the Joan Jett posts for a little while, but I’m not ready to leave NYC just yet. Making a grand return to actually posting from vinyl, I’ve got a some selections from The Dead Boys’ “Night of the Living Dead Boys,” which was recorded in March, 1979, at CBGB. This was the last of three official Dead Boys releases.

The story goes that, even though the group had broken up in 1979, they still had a record left on their Stiff Records contract. They reunited for these shows, during which Stiv Bators decided to get his revenge by deliberately muffling his vocals and creating a shitty sound for the live recording. In 1981, when Bomp Records was ready to release the material, Bators rerecorded the vocals.

A review in Goldmine magazine called “Night of the Living Dead Boys”, “Everything you'd expect it to be: chaotic, tumultuous, obscenely loud and utterly divorced from all the emotions you'd expect to find at the last-ever show by a much-loved institution. No tears, no good-byes, nothing but an unrelenting wall of noise, and every brick a barrage of punk purity.”

All This and More.mp3
Caught With the Meat in Your Mouth.mp3
Tell Me (Rolling Stones cover).mp3
Ain’t it Fun.mp3
What Love Is.mp3
Aint Nothin’ To Do.mp3

As an afternote, I knew Stiv Bators had passed away several years ago (June 3, 1990, to be exact) but I didn’t know how he died, This from Wikipedia: “In 1990, Bators was struck by a laundry truck while intoxicated on a street in Paris. He was brought to a hospital but, under unclear circumstances, was sent home by the attending doctor. He died in his sleep of a concussion. Bators was a fan and devotee of Jim Morrison, the lead singer of The Doors, and had his ashes spread over Morrison's grave in the Père Lachaise Cemetery.”

hmmm.

2 Comments:

At 10:19 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Strange but true: I was thinking about ripping this LP over Thanksgiving too! My faves are "3rd Generation Nation", "Catholic Boy" and "Detention Home".

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger jonder said...

Oh, and "Won't Look Back".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home