4/04/2009

I'll be your gun, Sharon...

I’m working on gathering things together for a long overdue “Music From My Mailbox” post, but in the meantime, I wanted to share something kinda cool that I got a few days ago.

The Ropes are a two-piece band from New York. In a variation of the usual guitar and drums theme, they have a singer/bassist (Sharon Shy) and a “multi-instrumentalist” (Toppy, who will often play the drums with a guitar hanging around his neck). Following the success of their debut, What They Do for Fun, which was chosen as number 15 on ABC News' 50 Best Albums of 2008, the Ropes have just released an EP.

The new three-track disk, Be My Gun, came out last month. The title track is eerily catchy and I found it stuck in my head after listening to it a few times. That’s not to say it’s necessarily upbeat or sunny, though. It seems to be about finding some motivation to live up to your potential, whatever that potential may be: “I'm a bullet / Will you be my gun?’

Check this song out; I think you’ll like it.

Be My Gun.mp3

The Ropes’ albums are available through the usual: iTunes, eMusic, etc. Get to the duo’s MySpace for more info.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home