6/04/2008

Second Birthday repost (or, a gratuitous self-love fest)

All right! Today is two years I’ve been at the wheel of Licorice Pizza. June 4, 2006: My first unceremonious post.

I’d like to think that the past 12 months were more productive than the first 12. I never bothered to uncrash my old iMac, so I quit posting from vinyl. On the other hand, I’ve kind of broadened my horizons, recently tracking down some actual rock and roll from the South Florida area. Two years ago – hell, one year ago – I never woulda thunk that even existed. Those aren’t among my most popular posts, but if I can enlighten even one person, then I’ve fulfilled what I see as the purpose of MP3 blogs: To expand musical horizons (and all this time you just thought it was about free music, didn’t you?).

On that note, I thought I’d celebrate my two-year anniversary by reposting what has been far and away my most popular post: The “Toot and a Snore in ‘74” post from July 27 last year. When I originally posted this, I thought it was just something a little different and maybe interesting from a historical point of view since it was the last known recording of both John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

So, I posted that recording in July, then I moved on. But in September, all hell broke loose around that post. First, it got Digg’d, which gave me literally thousands of hits. Following that, I got a small mention at Rolling Stone.com, and, for the week of Sept. 17, I was Blogger’s “Blog of Note.” All of that helped to just about triple the average daily traffic for me.

So that final Lennon/McCartney recording, despite how horrible it really is, helped spread the love around for my little blog and I thought it would be appropriate to repost it. In one of the places I saw it linked, I read a comment about what a hassle it was to listen to each two-to-three minute track, then go back and click on the next one. I didn’t respond to that particular person, but the simple solution is to DOWNLOAD AND LISTEN TO THE WHOLE THING AT ONCE! It’s not rocket science, I wanted to tell the person.

To assist the download-challenged, I’ve wrapped the whole thing up in an easy-to-use zip file. If you want more information about the session, or if you want to hear individual tracks, the original post is here. It is a pretty interesting story, so I do encourage you to check it out. And, once again, Bootleg Zone has an excellent transcript of the recordings if you care to follow along.

Track List
A Toot and a Snore
Bluesy Jam
Studio Talk
Lucille
Nightmares (aka Midnight)
Stand By Me
Stand By Me II
Stand By Me III
Cupid/Working for the Chain Gang/Take this Hammer

Do you want a Zip? It’s going ‘round....

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:10 PM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

well, happy anniversary!

 
At 1:31 AM , Blogger riff buttons said...

The sound of too much money!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home