10/07/2007

"Clapton is God" - Hear it here, then go read about it

There is, in today’s New York Times, an excellent article about the upcoming Eric Clapton autobiography, “Clapton: The Autobiography.” The book should be in stores this week.

The Times article sort of takes the approach that the public’s primary interest in the book will be Clapton’s version of his relationship with Pattie Boyd Harrison. Despite the newspaper’s emphasis on this one aspect, the article makes it clear that this is but one small piece of the notoriously private Clapton’s life. Even Clapton himself now downplays the relationship: “At the time it was kind of like swinging, very loose and amoral,” the Times quotes him as saying. “I think we didn’t give it too much thought. It was really only later that we realized that we treated each other quite badly.”

Beyond Pattie Boyd, though, “Clapton: The Autobiography” covers the scope of EC’s career and life, from being raised by his grandparents, through his battles with addiction, and the 1991 death of his son.

It’s the discussion of Conor’s death that led the Times to praise Clapton’s “distinctly measured tone, which never becomes hysterical or sentimental, even when writing about painful, dramatic or unflattering situations.”

Clapton said his editors called him to ask why he had taken such a detached tone when writing about Conor’s death. “I had to explain that it was impossible to re-enter that period of time,” he said. “It’s so traumatic that I can only really talk about it from a distance, as if it were someone else.

“Someone recently read the book and told me I was really hard on myself.” Clapton said. “I think that’s a misunderstanding of it. I just tried to take responsibility for all the different phases of my life.”

I enjoy reading well-written biographies and autobiographies and I expect this book will not disappoint me. Clapton’s status as a rock icon / living legend practically ensures an interesting read.

“Clapton: The Autobiography” is due out Oct. 9, by Broadway Books.

After reading about the upcoming Clapton book, I dug around a bit and found this recording of a Mar. 24, 1978, show at the Memorial Coliseum in Charlotte, N.C. If I date-checked correctly, this would have been during the Slowhand tour.

Worried Life Blues.mp3
Peaches and Diesel.mp3
Wonderful Tonight.mp3
Lay Down Sally.mp3
Rodeo Man.mp3
Fool’s Paradise.mp3
Cocaine.mp3
Double Trouble.mp3
Badge.mp3
Nobody Knows You.mp3
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.mp3
Key to the Highway.mp3
Layla.mp3
Bottle of Red Wine.mp3

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:50 AM , Blogger frankenslade said...

Nice write up of this autobiography. I think I had some similar reactions to you in reading this book. You can check them out here:

http://www.rocktownhall.com/blogs/index.php?title=clapton_is_man&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger Isorski said...

Very cool to see this NYT preview after I have read the book, and to see Clapton's comments about his own book. He is fairly detached from all the pain he caused/went through and I guess that is his way of coping.

I wanted more details about the musical exploits (Beatles recording, Rainbow concert etc) but I guess a guy that screwed up can only remember so much of his past!

I wrote a review of "Clapton" at http://isorski.blogspot.com/. You might have to scroll down a little to get to it. Check it out!

 
At 2:00 AM , Blogger Andrew Kottenstette said...

While trying to put "Peaches and Diesel" on my Project Playlist for folks who come to my Myspace Profile I found that what you have is mis-titled. I know it's not Peaches and Diesel, because he played that as the lead off instrumental when I saw him play at Denver's McNichols Arena in 1978. He then shared that "The world of boxing is dead!", the day Leon Spinks beat Muhammed Ali. I'm just saying. It's always been one of my favorites and I was trying to share it in a low-fi way at Myspace. Some may never have heard it yet.

 
At 2:13 AM , Blogger Andrew Kottenstette said...

Nevermind to my previous post. It's on the beginning of "Wonderful Tonight". Thank you for putting this up though.

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger Tim Mitchell said...

I just ran across the live version of "Layla" on Project Playlist. IS THERE VIEDO OF THIS. I would love to see two of the greatest guiarist on stage togeather. Please let me know.

 
At 8:03 PM , Blogger The Jaded Rocker said...

Hi. I came across this entry quite by accident while surfing the web, and just wanted to thank you for sharing this recorded slice of greatness with the world. I dig it the most! Perhaps he's not "God", but "Clapton is Good". Peace to you, fellow babies...

- The Jaded Rocker

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home