12/21/2006

Countdown to Xmas - Day 1

Here we are. The official first day of winter. Let me set the scene for you. It’s a brisk 71 degrees outside. Apartment 104 isn’t well-ventilated (like most apartments, there’s only windows on one side), so it gets warm; as such, the air conditioner is on. I’m dressed for the season in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

I know - blah, blah, blah. But this is the one time of year I’m more or less OK with living in Miami. It could be a lot worse. I know there was / is some ugly weather in Colorado. On the downside, the sun and the palm trees really do nothing to take away from my general Grinch-ness.

All of that aside, today is Day 1 of my Countdown to Xmas. I’m finally going to jump on the holiday bandwagon before it leaves town altogether, and post holiday themed music.

Today, I’ve got three songs. The first, by Tom Waits, I think comes from an Austin City Limits recording. It starts with a traditional “Silent Night,” then goes south. Next is a Christmas mainstay - Springsteen’s “Santa Claus is Coming to Town.” This song has been around so long, I really have no idea where it originated. Hanoi Rocks’ “Dead by Xmas,” comes from their Self-Destruction Blues album.

Silent Night / Postcard from a Hooker in Minneapolis.mp3 Tom Waits
Santa Claus is Coming to Town.mp3 Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Dead By Xmas.mp3 Hanoi Rocks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home