10/29/2008

Lorraine Leckie & Her Demons

Got a little more new stuff for you tonight. I just got my hands on a copy of Four Cold Angels, the new album from Lorraine Leckie & Her Demons.

Despite this being Ms. Leckie’s third release, I have to admit that I am new to her music. I found out about her via an email, then checked out her MySpace. The songs there – all of which are on the new album – are pretty representative of her music. “Getaway Car,” one of my favorites, is a piano-driven song of bank robbery or something for which bank robbery is a metaphor (sometimes you have to beat me over the head with a metaphor before I get it). The title track, “Four Cold Angels,” shows off Leckie’s Neil Young influence on a country-tinged song powered by Buddy Cage’s pedal steel guitar.

The mid-tempo songs, such as the one I’ve posted tonight, bring to mind Holly Golightly as much as anything. The music sounds almost folkish, or country, but there’s more to it than simply strumming an acoustic guitar and crying in your beer. Listen close to the words and you’ll hear what Leckie describes as “an attitude that's hard as nails and barely concealing of an aching vulnerability just below the surface.”

Some brief bio info: Lorraine Leckie grew up in Whitby, Ontario, where she was raised on a diet of Hank Williams and Neil Young. She began writing poetry at a young age and was drawn to make music when friends suggested she turn her poems into songs. Today, Lorraine and Her Demons perform regularly at venues in New York City's Lower East Side and in Brooklyn, which she currently calls home.

Language of the Night.mp3

Four Cold Angels is scheduled to hit stores next month.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home