3/20/2008

“It Ain't Over 'til the Fat Roadies Play”

I had no real intention of posting this Replacements boot today or, really, even anytime soon. No reason – it just wasn’t on my list.

This little piece of good luck for you Mats fans came about when someone I sort of know expressed some interest in hearing it. Being the well-bred guy I am, I agreed to get him a copy of the file so he could check it out. Then, once the file was uploaded, I figured, what the hell – may as well spread the love.

I really doubt there’s anything I can tell you about the Replacements you don’t already know. I’ve been a sort of casual fan since I first heard Tim, so probably since the mid-80s sometime. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to see them play live.

This recording marks the Replacements’ last show, played in Chicago’s Grant Park on July 4, 1991. I believe it’s generally referred to as “It Ain't Over 'til the Fat Roadies Play.” It was given that title because each member disappeared during the set, their respective roadies taking their places. The show was broadcast by Chicago radio station WXRT. The artwork that came with the recording I have – and the one I’m giving you – named the recording Institutionalized. You can take your pick, I suppose.

Track list:
1. I Will Dare
2. Bent Out Of Shape
3. Achin’ To Be
4. Merry Go Round
5. Happy Town
6. Swinging Party.mp3
7. One Wink At A Time
8. Waitress In The Sky
9. When It Began
10. Someone Take The Wheel
11. Talent Show / Send In The Clowns
12. Nobody
13. Another Girl, Another Planet
14. Hey Good Lookin’
15. I’ll Be You
16. I Don’t Know
17. Within’ Your Reach
18. Can’t Hardly Wait
19. Hootenanny
20. Meet Me On The Bus

It ain’t over ‘til you Unzip it.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:56 AM , Blogger Nazz Nomad said...

They ceased being the Replacements when Bob Stinson got tossed out of the band.
But other's mileage may vary.

I saw them several times in their hey-day. always an interesting, if not exactly coherent experience.

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger Liz - 4 Ohm said...

Have you heard The Box Social? They have a lot of the energy of early Replacements.

http://www.myspace.com/theboxsocialrocks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home